Hard writing makes easy reading. Easy writing makes hard reading.
Entrust your words to someone who cares about them as much as you do. You’ve done the hard part – now I can work with you to make your writing a pleasure to read. I will help you:
- Erase sentence fragments
- Cite sources correctly in academic papers
- Develop characters’ dialogue to ‘show, don’t tell’
- Rearrange text, sentences and chapters for better pacing and comprehension
- Format to submit for publication
- Accomplish your intent with appropriate spelling, punctuation and grammar
- Manuscript critiques (see below) – and much more
Jobs small and large
- Query letters and proposals
- Brochures and flyers
- Novels, short stories and other fiction
- Creative non-fiction
- Essays, academic papers and dissertations, annotations and annotated bibliographies
- Line-by-line edits or suggested summary
- Website and blog narrative content (Please note: though I have no experience with HTML code or technical language, I can work with you on the narrative text you plan to include on your site. In some cases I can also help with formatting.)
- Almost anything you can think of to write. Please inquire!
Individual contractual agreements, crafted with and for you, are based on your project needs. I provide professional, thoughtful, quick and comprehensive edits (and critique, if desired) that maintain your unique voice. I work with both online (Word and Open Office) and hard copy manuscripts, by email or postal mail, whichever you prefer.
Fees are per project or by the hour, based on my initial review, and payment schedules can be negotiated.
Detailed and comprehensive summary of suggested edits, including comments and ideas: $1.75/page.
Initial and general impressions: $1.00/page.
A writer for over 50 years, I am the author of fiction, non-fiction, creative non-fiction, and poetry. With a BA in holistic studies, an MA in writing and creative studies, and a post-graduate diploma in theology, I have a wide range of experience and interests. I have been privileged to serve as an academic and writing mentor for undergrad and graduate students. In addition to co-founding a regional collective of spoken word and musical artists, I served as senior editor at and wrote a regular column on self-editing tips for an online writing ezine.
I am also the co-founder of Branch Hill Publications, a small indie print-on-demand company that has published almost two dozen books since we started in 2011. My short fiction, non-fiction and poetry are in print and online media. My first novel, the CNF book I co-authored, and my compilation of hospitality in writing are all available at Amazon and on Kindle (see ‘My Bookshelf’ above for links). A Proud Little Town, a novella and my second work of long fiction, was released in the summer of 2016. I am currently working on the sequel (the second in an occasional series), as well as three poetry chapbooks.
Some feedback from clients:
“Genie, you definitely make my writing simpler and more forceful. Thank you!”
“Thank you for the great job you have done. You are not only an excellent editor, but you are also a valued advisor and mentor.”
Genie Rayner, Bennington VT
802-681-7071 or email@example.com
Look for and share Magic Lamp Editing Services on Facebook, and connect with me on Twitter at @GenieWrites2!